blOgbuefi

writing to know, knowing thru being, being for writing... this is me, writing about the one thing i know, which is myself... and even that is sometimes a mystery...

Sunday, July 17, 2005

sufjan, will you marry me?

reading over the title of my last post, i can't help but feel i've been listening to a little too much sufjan stevens in the past couple of days.
but i just can't help it, darn it! it's just so deliciously good!

the tasty man himself:

i invite you, too, to "come on feel the illinoise" and go check out his new album and get your dose of his amazing talent. and you, too, will become verbosely poetic and clever in true sufjan-style!

"john wayne gacy jr." is probably one of my favorite tracks so far. the wailing vocals are so haunting and tortured, yet beautiful. and i like the idea he had for the first track, "concerning the ufo sighting...":

"Because America is a nation of immigrants, it seemed appropriate to begin with a supernatural visitation. My parents were certain, in the mid-'80s, that they were Star People. This would make me an alien offspring, so of course I've always been obsessed with outer space. Who isn't?" (read more here)

it's epic, poetic, well-researched, symbolic, triumphant, visionary...

it's simply one of the best albums of the year.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:18 AM, July 18, 2005, Blogger Kristi Joy said…

    I am the only person I know who can't get into this guy. I feel like such a nerd :(
    But, he is hot!

     
  • At 9:22 AM, July 18, 2005, Blogger Ogbuefi Stephi said…

    i don't know, i guess he takes some warming up to. i know i wasn't that big of a fan of "michigan," but still, i thought he had a unique style, definitely something you don't hear a lot of in the music industry. and his project is so ambitious and tedious... i just gotta support an artist with that much drive and inspiration.
    and yeah, it helps that he's easy on the eyes. ;)

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home