blOgbuefi

writing to know, knowing thru being, being for writing... this is me, writing about the one thing i know, which is myself... and even that is sometimes a mystery...

Monday, August 29, 2005

adolescence is the real bitch

hi!

so sorry to everyone who visits this silly ol' blog of mine for poetry and literature. i promise to return to my usual posting style soon. because its gradual sinking into open diary-ness has been really depressing to observe.

but, i have stuff to talk about. so, please forgive the brief relapse and then we'll be returning to the regular programming...

so, i was called a bitch for the first time in my life yesterday. quite the experience. i like to think of myself as a nice person. i'm generally pleasant to be around, but then, i am obviously biased, so really i can't say this for sure.

but i feel that most people find me agreeable. and not that i believe everyone should like me. that's not it at all. in fact, i would be seriously weirded out if everyone liked me and i had no enemies. but i had never thought that my enemies would make themselves so blatantly obvious to me.

anyway, i went to a community life council meeting yesterday night. i had this idea to run for office. i like western. i like the community. i think i would be a qualified officer. anyway, the person in charge (a cla, aka ra to main campus people) asked me what i wanted to run for. i told her i wanted to run for secretary. she just gives me a cold hard stare and calls me a bitch. just like that. in front of the whole community, too. (i guess she was the secretary and didn't want to lose her job...)

and what bothers me most is that no one came to my defense or called her out on it. now that i think about it, i wish i had stood up to her and done it myself. because community is about mutual respect for your fellow community members. not petty name-calling and embarassing a fellow human being because they unwittingly challenged your position.

(oh, so after she called me a bitch i just kinda said that i didn't know she was secretary already and that she wanted to keep her job. and she said that if i wanted the position, i would have to fight her for it. and i said ok, then i will.)

yeah, i've been picked on before. and i've had to deal with catty girls all through my childhood. i've had groups of preppy pretty girls gang up on me because i was scrawny and not that strikingly gorgeous. but none of that really bothered me before.

the way i figure, everyone goes through trials and tribulations as an awkward adolescent growing up in image-conscious america. everyone has their problems, their silly rivalries and difficulties fitting in with different crowds. this is just the average adolescent experience.

in fact, i'm grateful for my earlier self-esteem and body image issues. i'm happy i was picked on occasionally as a kid. i had it lucky. i went to school in a ghetto and made it out with only a few things stolen from my backpack during gym, or only having a few things thrown at me, and only a few scathing remarks directed my way. i am lucky. i know people who grew up in the ghettoes and who couldn't leave their homes after a certain time of day, who would be accosted by drug dealers on the street or who would live in fear of being raped on their way home from school.

i am lucky.

even with all the problems i had as a child, i never once became someone i didn't want to be. i stayed true to my beliefs. and though childhood memories can be painful to remember, i also know that the stuff i went through helped make me into the strong, independent woman i am. though i may have wished i were prettier or more popular as a child, i now am secure enough with myself, and happy with myself, and will never compromise my true character to suit someone else.

you can't please everyone. and i won't try to. so people can hate me or love me or maybe they couldn't care less, but i don't really care either. i mean, i am happy to know that i can light a room up for some people, and maybe make others miserable, but it doesn't matter, because i am not going to change the person i am just to make things easier for myself or for others.

and so, if this haughty sitting secretary thinks she can call me a bitch and intimidate me out of running, she better have a backup plan. because if anything, she's just geared me up for the fight...

17 Comments:

  • At 8:58 PM, August 29, 2005, Blogger The ZenFo Pro said…

    Good way of dealing with a bully, chica! I learned a long time ago that if you don't stand up for yourself and your beliefs, no one else will.

    Hell, we all had self-esteem issues as kids. I got picked on a bit as well. Since then, I've grown to accept who I am and who I one day want to be.

    Anyway, good luck with the election. Give em hell!

    J

     
  • At 9:05 PM, August 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Myrick writes for cancer survivors' blog
    Rep. Sue Myrick and other well-known cancer survivors have begun writing blogs about their bouts with the disease for the Web site Yahoo! Health.
    Satellite Dishes has created a programming service specifically driven to offer customers more choice and value for their entertainment dollar. Check out My site on Satellite Dishes

     
  • At 9:10 PM, August 29, 2005, Blogger Free Site Submit said…

    Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my yoga for fertility related site. It isnt anything special but you may still find something of interest.

     
  • At 9:13 PM, August 29, 2005, Blogger Ogbuefi Stephi said…

    thanks, J.

    and to the two spammers: i appreciate your visiting, but i would appreciate it if you would refrain from clogging my site with your silly plugs.
    they're not gonna do you any good here.

     
  • At 9:20 PM, August 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Digital Edge
    How many newspaper conferences have you attended where attendees have broken into a spontaneous standing ovation following the welcoming remarks? Such was the case at the recent BlogHer conference in Santa ...
    James Jordan is the author of Underground Mass Secrets To Shock Your Body Into An Explosive Growth Spurt. You can get his free Build Muscle Fast Course At:
    body building magazine

     
  • At 9:20 PM, August 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have a knack for
    writing. I read about 20
    blogs a day, and skim about
    30 more, so I mean it! We
    can all use improvement, but
    you certainly are better than
    most I've read.

    I'm going to be starting a blog
    soon, about keyword ranking
    (I know, it sounds strange!) but
    if you don't mind, I might drop
    you a line just to get a little advice.
    Ok?

    Thanks kindly.

    One Crazy Blog Addict...!
    Dave

     
  • At 9:29 PM, August 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your blog is great. I'm sure you'd be interested in free advertising. It isn't anything special but have a look at free advertising.

     
  • At 9:29 PM, August 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have a nice blog. I'll let folks know about it, OK?

    I have a SHOCKING Peritoneal Mesothelioma Cancer
    blog. It covers WAY OUT stuff about Peritoneal Mesothelioma Cancer .
    Come and check it out if you get time ;-)

     
  • At 9:35 PM, August 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice blog you have here! I'll be sure to bookmark it!

    I own a mesothelioma treatment info site.
    It informs visitors of the dangers of mesothelioma treatment
    You might find it very informative:

     
  • At 9:50 PM, August 29, 2005, Blogger 'Thought & Humor' said…

    We work like a horse.
    We eat like a pig.
    We like to play chicken.
    You can get someone's goat.
    We can be as slippery as a snake.
    We get dog tired.
    We can be as quiet as a mouse.
    We can be as quick as a cat.
    Some of us are as strong as an ox.
    People try to buffalo others.
    Some are as ugly as a toad.
    We can be as gentle as a lamb.
    Sometimes we are as happy as a lark.
    Some of us drink like a fish.
    We can be as proud as a peacock.
    A few of us are as hairy as a gorilla.
    You can get a frog in your throat.
    We can be a lone wolf.
    But I'm having a whale of a time!

    You have a riveting web log
    and undoubtedly must have
    atypical & quiescent potential
    for your intended readership.
    May I suggest that you do
    everything in your power to
    honor your encyclopedic/omniscient
    Designer/Architect as well
    as your revering audience.
    As soon as we acknowledge
    this Supreme Designer/Architect,
    Who has erected the beauteous
    fabric of the universe, our minds
    must necessarily be ravished with
    wonder at this infinate goodness,
    wisdom and power.


    Please remember to never
    restrict anyone's opportunities
    for ascertaining uninterrupted
    existence for their quintessence.

    There is a time for everything,
    a season for every activity
    under heaven. A time to be
    born and a time to die. A
    time to plant and a time to
    harvest. A time to kill and
    a time to heal. A time to
    tear down and a time to
    rebuild. A time to cry and
    a time to laugh. A time to
    grieve and a time to dance.
    A time to scatter stones
    and a time to gather stones.
    A time to embrace and a
    time to turn away. A time to
    search and a time to lose.
    A time to keep and a time to
    throw away. A time to tear
    and a time to mend. A time
    to be quiet and a time to
    speak up. A time to love
    and a time to hate. A time
    for war and a time for peace.


    Best wishes for continued ascendancy,
    Howdy


    P.S. One thing of which I am sure is
    that the common culture of my youth
    is gone for good. It was hollowed out
    by the rise of ethnic "identity politics,"
    then splintered beyond hope of repair
    by the emergence of the web-based
    technologies that so maximized and
    facilitated cultural choice as to make
    the broad-based offerings of the old
    mass media look bland and unchallenging
    by comparison."

     
  • At 9:53 PM, August 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Miles O'Brien's Raw, Emotional Hurricane Blog
    CNN American Morning co-anchor Miles O'Brien has been live-blogging Hurricane Katrina.
    We Offer Free Music Download and music download free It pretty much covers music download free related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

     
  • At 9:59 PM, August 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A fantastic blog. Keep it up. Here's the resolve a lot of people are searching for; yeshua in respect to info on yeshua

     
  • At 10:00 PM, August 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    On this day, my birthday
    As for myself, I celebrated this morning at breakfast with the family since I have a dinner with clients tonight.
    Hi, you got a neat blog here!

    I have a poker room
    site/blog. It covers all poker room related stuff.

    Come and check it out if you get time :-)

     
  • At 10:03 PM, August 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, you have a nice blog here! I have a fitness made simple site/blog. It covers fitness made simple related stuff.

     
  • At 10:07 PM, August 29, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tom Biro Joins MWW
    A big healthy heap of congratulations to Tom Biro . He has joined MWW Group as their new Director of New Media Strategies .
    Nice blog. I'm impressed!
    broadband phone service voip site covering broadband phone service voip related stuff.

     
  • At 7:58 AM, August 30, 2005, Blogger neotrax said…

    hey there,

    firstly, thanx for the comments on my blog. i haven't really got the time to read your blog.

    anyway, you can enable the spam settings at the change settings menu > comments > word verification > choose yes. hope you would find it useful.

    cheers!!

     
  • At 10:05 PM, September 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i love you :) i don't even have to tell you that SHE'S the bitch and not you, because you know that. you could have told me about this before, though :( i hope it's not bothering you, and that you are campaigning to win the office that is rightfully yours!
    chels

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home