blOgbuefi

writing to know, knowing thru being, being for writing... this is me, writing about the one thing i know, which is myself... and even that is sometimes a mystery...

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

fare thee well, peter


my evening news anchor,
my friend,
the voice to a childhood spent in the living room
watching events on tv screen with parents.
you made me feel safe
though wars and plagues raged in countries far away.

perhaps silly, these tears streaming down my face,
but you were a first love,
an inspiration and aspiration,
a public figure with untainted personality.

you were a model of the perfect past
in a present i barely wish to live.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:55 PM, August 09, 2005, Blogger The ZenFo Pro said…

    Jennings did have such an amazing voice...very soothing. I remember watching him tear up during live coverage after 9/11 when his kids called.
    Very good eulogy!
    J.

     
  • At 4:15 PM, August 09, 2005, Blogger Ogbuefi Stephi said…

    thanks, friend.

     
  • At 1:29 AM, August 10, 2005, Blogger Smurf said…

    What a beautiful tribute! I am sadden by his loss too... it's amazing that death is a part of life... and yet... it's still so weird when someone dies.. especially the people who have always "BEEN THERE" even including public icons such as Jennings... I watched this Ethics film about war and the military in my Ethics class this summer.. Jennings was in it... I am sad too! Thanks for the post!

     
  • At 11:40 AM, August 10, 2005, Blogger Ogbuefi Stephi said…

    thanks smurf, for sharing your rxn to my post. i
    greatly appreciate it. i think everyone was at least a
    little bit upset to hear the news. it's amazing the
    kind of impact he had on people.
    thanks again.
    ~stephanie

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home