blOgbuefi

writing to know, knowing thru being, being for writing... this is me, writing about the one thing i know, which is myself... and even that is sometimes a mystery...

Monday, November 21, 2005

fighting apathy one blog response at a time

i'm astounded by the kind of responses i've been getting to the fair labor campaign from the blogosphere alone.

here's a sample of the recent offenses and my attempt to set the decrier's straight:

---------
(from J's recent post on my efforts on the miami campus)

Brit said - "lol...one of my professors wants meto go to this thing for credit. can you believe that? i saw these letters to the editor in the miami student about the whole thing but i don't know what the big deal is really. i mean, at least MU staff hafve jobs right?"
---
my response -
holy shit, i can't believe you can say that, brit!

"at least they have jobs?!" do you realize that those jobs require so much physical, not to mention mental strength and energy, (and time, let's not forget that!) that asking them to work those positions for the pay they're getting now is just a small degree short of slave-driving?!

not to exaggerate, but miami u's labor practices are anything but humane. and this from an institution striving to become first in 2009?

all i can say is that it's a good thing you have a professor who cares enough about the education you're getting to MAKE you go. that's right, brit, education is actually about so much more than grades and book-learning.

it's about earning your global citizenship.

so go on the 29th. you'll probably learn something.

----------
(from my earlier fair labor post)

Tyler Patrick said - "[I]t's about dispelling the myth of the american dream and self-made man" -- please, make that statement as public as you can. That'll really rally people to your cause.
---
my response -
you know what? i'm not seeking the support of the people too scared to lose their own balance if they rock the boat of convention.

people are too content to wallow in their self-made, self-perpetuated illusions, and it keeps them from doing anything progressive for change. and the biggest problem is that apathy is cheap. it's too easy!

i can't stand the people who get uneasy at the slightest mention of change. those people are the ones that prevent any kind of social progress, because they get motion sick with the smallest movement forward.

be it uncomfortable, unsettling, disturbing or otherwise, change needs to happen. of course it's scary and unnerving. but once you get past the fear of falling, you soar.

isn't that what revolution is all about?

----------
it's disheartening that this is the prevalent response so far, but i've been fighting it since the beginning. one more day couldn't hurt.

onward,
stephanie

3 Comments:

  • At 12:59 AM, November 22, 2005, Blogger Ray "Raedien" Devine said…

    Steph, it's Ray, I'm one of the Miami students who are supposedly "breaking" out of class structure, seeing as I'm paying my own way. So please keep that in mind, I'm from the side of the fence the people you are fighting for are supposedly from.

    Now, I'm not saying conditions aren't horrible for these people, I'm honestly all for the movement. I'm not saying I know every job available on this campus and every person who works those jobs.

    But from my experience working in Alexander, many of these people are quite happy with their work. I have talked to cooks, managers and other workers in Alex and all of them are glad to have their jobs and as far as I know can provide for themselves quite well. This includes paying for their childrens education and owning nice cars.

    I just feel as if you are portraying a very specific view of the work force here and that is what people are responding too. They want to fight against this image of Miami as a horrible place to work. Maybe comparing wages and benefits to other, similer places would be more effective.

    Alright, my rant is over, sorry if I've enraged.

     
  • At 1:13 AM, November 22, 2005, Blogger Ogbuefi Stephi said…

    ray,
    thank you. you brought up a very good point. a lot of people are happy here and i don't mean to portray miami in such a negative light.
    though the few who are happy here should not speak for the rest of the staff who are barely getting by, i should not assume for the entire staff population either.
    the thing is, we have done comparisons with other univ's, notably bowling green. check out the stats here:
    http://www.users.muohio.edu/katkojn/bowling_green.pdf
    don't worry, not enraged, just opinionated (but hopefully still respectful?)
    ~stephanie

     
  • At 11:01 PM, November 27, 2005, Blogger Ray "Raedien" Devine said…

    ^_^

    I feel you got the jist of my message, and I agree with what you are doing.

    Yeah, I saw that link at the site. Actually, Miami U. compares themselves to several colleges on a reguler basis as far as I know. They are posts up on the work board in Alexander about it from time to time.

    Of course, they could be media spun as they always look good.

    G'luck with CC, I'm workin' on it now actually...

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home