blOgbuefi

writing to know, knowing thru being, being for writing... this is me, writing about the one thing i know, which is myself... and even that is sometimes a mystery...

Monday, November 07, 2005

invertion

you said to use my mouth
well, i'm using it now, aren't i?

and there's more than a mouth here.

there's a mind that thinks
and eyes that see
and ears that hear
and a tongue that tastes
and a body that feels
and a heart that's crying now.

and there's more than a mouth and a cunt lying in this bed.

there's a spirit
and fragile bones
and strong muscles
and a pounding heart
and crying lungs
the coursing of blood
and tearing of eyes.

there is a girl
a woman
a sister
a mother
a friend
a lover
an enemy

someone's passing hello
someone's passing glance
someone.

a neighbor
a student
a teacher
a soul
and a stirring

a smile
a frown
a furrowed brow
a face full of teeth

and arms that flail
and legs that kick
and fists that clench
and shoulders for the weight of the world
and a neck that risks itself
and two eyes

and don't you forget,
there's a soul inside

don't you dare forget that
behind this

straightened smile
this yoga and pilates and fad diets green tea
-destroyed body

these carefully picked out clothes
and my lathered rinsed repeated hair

behind my unique eyes
my betraying nose
my mother's chin
and my father's jawline

behind the color of my skin,
deeper than my genetics
and my physiology
and my meta-anything,

lies a person.

and don't you dare forget it.
don't you ever forget it.

I am a woman.

P-E-R-I-O-D.

9 Comments:

  • At 12:39 PM, November 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My God! That made me cry. How beautiful and sad. Keep writing, you do it so beautifully.

     
  • At 4:18 PM, November 07, 2005, Blogger The ZenFo Pro said…

    Awesome poem...yeah, made me cry as well.

    and there's more than a mouth and a cunt lying in this bed.

    Awesome line. We really need to do coffee sometime soon...

    J.

     
  • At 4:27 PM, November 07, 2005, Blogger Ogbuefi Stephi said…

    thanks, both of you.

    this poem meant a lot to me, and i'm glad it said something/meant something to you as well.

    and that it moved you to tears? wow, i don't even know what to say. i'm honored that you shed your tears for my words.

    what else is there to say?

     
  • At 5:20 PM, November 07, 2005, Blogger Ray "Raedien" Devine said…

    Am I allowed to say anything? Okay, bad joke.

    Loved the parallel structure, very well done.

    Subject matter, is of course, both known and unknown to me. Yey for CC! lol

    It reminds me of something else I've read before...

    Anyway, great stuff Steph. I wish I could write something that long and that well.

     
  • At 10:23 PM, November 07, 2005, Blogger Ogbuefi Stephi said…

    it probably reminds you of other stuff because i intentionally derived some lines from all sorts of feminist literature and poetry.

    i might be using part of this for my cc final, so watch out for it.

    but keep it on the dl, k? it's going to take a whole lot of nerve and guts to perform this, and the less people who know about it, the better.

     
  • At 5:09 PM, November 08, 2005, Blogger Ray "Raedien" Devine said…

    Ah, thought so.

    *zips lips*

     
  • At 9:39 AM, November 11, 2005, Blogger Steve Harper said…

    What can I say....awesome post as always!

    Steve

     
  • At 9:17 PM, June 09, 2006, Anonymous shayna said…

    Very powerful and awesome poem!

     
  • At 9:36 PM, June 09, 2006, Blogger Ogbuefi Stephi said…

    thanks shayna.

    cool blog, p.s.

    i wish i were cool/talented enuf to write and perform music.

    rock on,
    stephanie

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home