blOgbuefi

writing to know, knowing thru being, being for writing... this is me, writing about the one thing i know, which is myself... and even that is sometimes a mystery...

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

summer book list

so it's kinda early, but i've already begun compiling my summer reading list

why? b/c i've been working really hard this week and the only thing keeping me going is the idea of having a somewhat more lax finals week and then having an amazing summer, filled w/ things i actually want to do and books i actually want to read, such as the following...


stephanie lee's summer reading list '06 (in a particularly nonparticular order):
snow crash -neal stephenson
neuromancer -william gibson
the life and opinions of tristram shandy, gentleman -laurence sterne
invisible cities -italo calvino
a clockwork orange -burgess
who's afraid of virginia woolf -edward albee
one flew over the cuckoo's nest -ken kesey
naked lunch -burroughs
+ richard brautigan

+ poetry
fuck you-aloha-i love you -juliana spahr
sappho
the lesbian body -monique wittig

+phil.
man a machine, man a plant -laplace
of other spaces -foucault
twilight of the idols (again!) -nietszche
sexual politics -wittig

o yay, i am so excited!
b/w this and my internship and lolla, it's going to be one fun, quick, amazing summer

giddyup!
-o.stephi


p.s. if any of you would like to recommend something, please do! leave the name of the book, author, and why you think it should be on my already pretty formidable list.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:42 PM, March 30, 2006, Blogger Brandon said…

    Book: Anything by
    Author: Dr. Suess
    Why: All work and no play is impossible with Dr. Suess in your life.

    I also recommend A Bad Day at Riverbend by Chris Van Allsburg. One of my favorite all time books.

    Yep...I love me a good kid's book. You're never too old for such things.

    Maybe more serious suggestions at a later date. Not that these aren't serious.

     
  • At 4:56 PM, April 04, 2006, Blogger Brandon said…

    Okay...so that book I was trying to tell you about that sounds rather silly but is really quite excellent... "The Confessions of Max Tivoli" by Andrew Sean Greer. I suggest it. I would also suggest "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. I haven't personally read it but a lot of people I know really like it and it's gotten some pretty awesome reviews. So those are my more serious suggestions that are more on the fun side. Enjoy!

     
  • At 12:56 PM, April 09, 2006, Anonymous PAPPP said…

    I feel sort of stalkerish posting here, but I was bored and rummaging through blogs of distant acquaintances (its Paul from Winburn/HC, Karen’s boyfriend), HOWEVER I feel obliged to make my standard rant whenever someone talks about reading necromancer. Gibson is one of my top 3 favorite authors, but that’s possibly his worst book, even if it is the most famous. If you want to read a good example of Gibson, read Pattern Recognition (his most recent one) or Virtual Light, if you just want to get a feel for cyberpunk in general, either Burning Chrome (short story collection, all Gibson) or, if you can find a copy, Mirrorshades (a collection edited by Bruce Sterling, its been out of print for a while).

     
  • At 12:58 PM, April 09, 2006, Anonymous PAPPP said…

    Oops, stupid spellchecker plugin, Neuromancer.

     
  • At 1:06 PM, April 09, 2006, Blogger Ogbuefi Stephi said…

    hey paul! (hope you get this...)
    wow, i haven't the foggiest idea where you came from, but hey! what a surprise...
    anyway, i haven't had a lot of exposure to gibson, so i figured neuromancer would be a good primer. i know i know, i hate it too. i tend to dislike the "big deal" books written by famous authors that somehow come to represent the entire body of their work. it's unfair, it's inaccurate, it's lame. (i mean, i spent the whole summer reading kerouac and found that on the road pales in comparison to lonesome traveler, which is no longer in print and practically unheard of, but so sO good)

    i appreciate the recommendation, though. i think i will still read neuromancer, as the concept seems interesting enough to warrant exploration.

    cool of you to stop by. even cooler of you to post.

    hope to hear more of you,
    stephanie

    p.s. say hello to karen for me!

     

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home